Monday, July 21, 2008

Recent Work

Supplicant, oil on panel, 9" x 24"

Supplicant (detail)

This skinny birch panel had been hidden away in a closet for over a year. I'd glued paper to it, begun a painting and promptly lost interest. I really liked the size, though, so I decided to tear off as much of the old painting as I could, and start over. I was also anxious to play around with the contrast between very smooth, realistic skin and a rougher, distressed surface. The result is "Supplicant." From the detail shot you can get a sense of the many layers that have been painted, drawn, sanded, dripped and glazed. I've started another panel in this series, and hope to have it completed and posted in about a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoever owns this blog, I would like to say that he has a great idea of choosing a topic.